top of page

History of 

Trout River

The Town of Trout River was incorporated in 1966. Trout River's first settler was George Crocker and until 1880, this family was its only inhabitants. The first census was taken in 1857, and the population was 13. By 1891, the population was 163 due to the growth of the lobster fishery.

Until the late 1950's when a rough road was constructed to allow access to the community, via Woody Point to Bonne Bay. The community remained very isolated. It wasn't until 1973 when Gros Morne National Park was established that the road system improved to its current modern standards.

Many of the town's residents now work at Gros Morne National Park or are involved in the tourist industry. But the town continues to preserve its traditional fishing heritage while at the same time developing the local tourism industry. Trout River has built three great attractions on its waterfront boardwalk. They are; the Fisherman's Museum, the Jacob A. Crocker House and the Fisheries Interpretation Centre.
The Fisherman's Museum displays the local fishing heritage. The museum contains many artifacts such as lobster traps, cod traps, splitting tables, ropes, and hooks which tell the story of the fishing industry in Trout River. A monument to local fishermen lost at sea is also on display. This monument serves as a reminder of the enormous risks associated with the fishing industry.

 

The Jacob A. Crocker House, a saltbox structure represents the type of architecture originally from England and made popular in Newfoundland from the 1860's to the early 1900's. Crocker House was built in 1898 and was the first saltbox house in Trout River. The first owner was Jacob Arthur Crocker, the grandson of the first settler, George Crocker. A walk through the premises will take a visitor back in time to experience life in a typical fisherman's home. Finally, the Fishing Interpretation Centre displays artifacts and photos of the local fishing industry and those who make their living from the sea. The centre was also designed to host informal concerts and events. This building has become popular through the volunteers who demonstrate traditional skills such as crocheting, knitting and mat hooking. Visitors especially enjoyed Ms. Edna Sheppard spinning wool on her antique spinning wheel.

IMG_3169.jpeg

@Tom Cochrane

Things to do & Places to see 

  • The Hummock Trail, originally a moose hunting lookout with exceptional views

  • The Old Man/Lighthouse Trail which along the way features a one of a kind Sea Stack.

  • The Eastern Point Trail provides is a scenic walk with breathtaking views of the harbour and natural landscape. 

  • The Harbour Boardwalk this scenic walk provides  views of the harbour, beach and fishing sheds. 

  • Bang Belly Festival is the event of the summer including fire works, a boardwalk dance, food and games. 

  • Passing the Time is a 9 week long event of music taking place every Tuesday, each week is different Newfoundland Singers. 

Business Directory

Barnes Store and Take Out                     1(709) 451-5441
Hann's Confectionary                              1(709) 451-3500

Riverside Take Out                                   1(709) 636-9874

Seaside Restaurant                                  1(709) 451-3461

Rusty Jigger Lounge                                1(709) 451-5111
Tableland Cottages                                  1(709) 451-2101

Elephants Head R.V Park                         1(709) 451-5500

Crockers Cabins                                       1(877) 951-3236

Ocean Breeze                                           1(709) 451-3104

Parks Canada Campground                   1(877) 737-3783 

Gros Morne Beach House                       1(709) 640-1488

Whale Tale Treasures                               1(709) 451-5318

Canada Post Office                                  1(709) 451-2155

Town Council Office                                 1(709) 451-5376

Interpretation Building                            1(709) 451-5270

Jacob Crocker House Museum              1(709) 451-5376​​​​​

IMG_3171.jpeg

@Michael Winsor

bottom of page